Futurepast offers services in three areas: management systems improvement and implementation; safety management systems for the aviation industry; and carbon accounting services for organizations seeking to quantify and reduce carbon emissions in their operations and products. We deliver our services through consulting, training and auditing.
Futurepast believes that consultants should not only “talk the talk” but also “walk the talk.” We maintain a quality management system for the provision of services. And we quantified and reported our own greenhouse gas emissions to The Climate Registry for six years from 2008 through 2013.
Futurepast maintained corporate or individual memberships in the following organizations from 2012 through 2016, and actively participated in environmental committee work:
- Airports Council International – North America
- American Association of Airport Executives
Since 1995 Futurepast’s John Shideler has maintained an associate membership in the American Bar Association, and supported the work of the following sections:
- Environment, Energy and Natural Resources;
- Business Law
Futurepast is headquartered in Arlington, Virginia. A second office is located in Spokane, Washington. We serve customers in the United States and around the world.
John Shideler’s expertise includes environmental, safety and health management systems consulting, training and auditing in a variety of industries. He helps clients to report greenhouse gas emissions, quantify the carbon footprint of products, and verify greenhouse gas assertions.
Dr. Shideler is active in international standards development. In 2012 he was designated Chair of Subcommittee 4 on Environmental Performance Evaluation in ISO Technical Committee 207 (Environmental Management Systems). He has also served as a US expert to Subcommittee 7 on Greenhouse Gas Management. From the US mirror group to ISO TC 207, Dr. Shideler has received three times an “Outstanding Achievement in Standards Development Award” for his work developing ISO 14064:2006, ISO 14065:2007, and ISO 14066:2011.
Dr. Shideler has represented ISO at two “Conference of the Parties” meetings of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. In December 2018 at the COP24 in Katowice, Poland, he participated in an ISO side event where he spoke on the development of ISO 14030, a standard in four parts on green debt instruments (bonds and loans). To hear his remarks, click HERE.
Professional credentials held by Dr. Shideler include greenhouse gas verifier/lead verifier (California Air Resources Board) and environmental lead auditor (RABQSA). In 2011 he achieved certification as a Roundtable on Sustainable Biofuels auditor. He is an associate member of the American Bar Association.
Dr. Shideler served from 2009 to 2013 as a member of the Greenhouse Gas Validation/Verification Advisory Committee to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). He earned his PhD degree at the University of California, Berkeley. He is the co-author with Jean Hetzel of Le grand livre de la stratégie bas carbone (La Plaine Saint-Denis, France: AFNOR, 2019), five other books, and several articles for journals and reviews.
Robert S. “Steve” Corker, Executive Vice President
During a more than forty-year long career, Steve Corker managed award-winning public relations and marketing efforts for businesses and nonprofits. In the 1990s his management consulting background helped Futurepast deliver professional training to Russian and Ukrainian government leaders and managers in programs sponsored by the US Agency for International Development.
Mr. Corker previously served as an elected city councilman in Spokane, Washington. He served on the Board of Directors of Spokane International Airport from 2000 to 2003 and has worked extensively in the airline and travel industries. He serves as Futurepast’s representative to the Small Airports committee of the Airports Council International – North America.
Steve Corker’s awards and honors include:
- 1983 recipient of the prestigious “Clio” Award, honoring advertising excellence worldwide
- 1990 recipient of the George Washington Medal for Excellence in Public Communications from the Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge for his article on the Soviet Union entitled “A Caravan of Peace.”
- 1991 recipient of the Lenin Humanitarian Award for contributions to youth programs in both the US and former Soviet Union
Mr. Corker manages the Spokane, WA, office of Futurepast. He also teaches marketing and public relations as an adjunct instructor at Gonzaga University in Spokane. Mr. Corker graduated from Stanford University with a BA in political science.
To order any of the titles listed on this page direct from Futurepast, please call toll-free (USA and Canada) 888-358-9047, or outside the USA and Canada, 1-703-358-9127.
Coal Towns in the Cascades
A classic has returned to print with Futurepast’s Second Edition of Coal Towns in the Cascades, A History of Roslyn and Cle Elum, Washington, by John C. Shideler, published January 2006.
- Coal Towns in the Cascades: A Centennial History of Roslyn and Cle Elum, Washington, Second Edition, ISBN 0-9710464-4-1, 158 pp., with notes and index. $49.95.
ISTC Science and Technology Series
From 2002 through 2005, Futurepast published four volumes in the “ISTC Science and Technology Series” for the International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) in Moscow. To learn more about the ISTC, please visit the ISTC homepage.
- Read peer reviews of Radiation Safety Assurance: Decommissioning of Nuclear Reactors at Civil and Military Installations.
- Radiation Safety Assurance: Decommissioning of Nuclear Reactors at Civil and Military Installations, ISBN 0-9710464-3-3, pp. x, 208; ISTC Science and Technology Series, Vol. 4, ISSN 1536-4593, October 2005. $145.
- Read peer reviews of Superplasticity: Microstructural Refinement and Superplastic Roll Forming.
- Author Oscar Kaibyshev avoids prison term following accusations that shocked the scientific world and prompted international outrage.
- Superplasticity: Microstructural Refinement and Superplastic Roll Forming, ISBN 0-9710464-2-5, pp. xix, 408; ISTC Science and Technology Series, Vol. 3, ISSN 1536-4593, April 2005. $165.
- Read peer reviews of High-Energy Phenomena in Electric Discharges in Dense Gases.
- High-Energy Phenomena in Electric Discharges in Dense Gases: Theory, Experiment, Natural Phenomena, ISBN 0-9710464-1-7, pp. xiii, 360; ISTC Science and Technology Series, Vol. 2, ISSN 1536-4593, March 2003. $145.
- View a catalogue flyer for Design of Knock Sensors.
- Design of Knock Sensors and Piezoaccelerometers, ISBN 0-9710464-0-9, pp. xiv, 176; ISTC Science and Technology Series, Vol. 1, ISSN 1536-4593, March 2002. $115.